19 September, 2007

"You're so brave!"

Whenever I hear this, really, it makes me want to be violently ill. Is the state of our world really so terrible that no one stands up for what they believe in anymore? But to the point...

Yes. Yes I am.

I am brave to be vegan in the face of a world of humans that tells me, "It's not natural," "You're going to starve," "You're a freak," "What? That's crazy!" "I could never do that," "Oh, I forgot to order the vegan meal for you," "You're a self-righteous fanatic," "You're a terrorist," and, yes, "Oh, you're so brave!" (Usually followed by, "I could never do that...")

Shit yes I'm brave to face off to that from nearly everyone I meet. Shit yes I'm brave to face off against the FBI, CIA, whatever organisation it is that's calling us terrorists these days. Shit yes I'm brave to face off against hunters (note, they're armed).

You know why I'm brave enough to face ridicule, loss of food, even imprisonment?

Because I know...

If I don't do this, someone will get hurt.

Or rather, because I am not doing something, it is:

If I do the opposite (using animals), someone will get hurt.

Yes. So they're "just animals". So what? You're "just" a human to them. Why shouldn't I look at it from their point of view rather than yours? Their lives are infinitely more worthy of existence than yours to their point of view.

In a world where hundreds of millions of animals are slaughtered and abused every day, I can do no less. In a world where millions of animals are force-fed, in a world where millions of animals are starved, in a world where millions of animals are beaten, in a world where millions of animals have their throats slit for no other crime than being born into the wrong body - every day - I can do no less.

So think about why you admire me, and instead of hanging by the sidelines, get in there. Learn. See. Hear. You'll become brave too.

Shit yes I'm brave.
blog comments powered by Disqus